Highlands Country Club
In 1927, Samuel Evins, who summered in Highlands, and was the law partner of Col. Robert Jones, (Bobby Jones’ father) envisioned a golf course in Highlands.
Mr. Evins invited Col. Jones and Scott Hudson, president of the Atlanta Athletic Club, to visit him in Highlands to share in his vision. The trip to Highlands was made and the idea flowered and bore great fruit! A new corporation was formed in the name of Highlands Estates and Scott Hudson was elected president. In 1928, Bobby Jones hit the first ball from #1 tee at the new, Donald Ross designed, Highlands Estates Golf Course.
Little did anyone know that the Great Depression loomed on the horizon and that Scott Hudson would be forced to pledge his personal assets to save the fledgling Highlands Estates from foreclosure. Mr. Hudson formed a new entity, the Highlands Nantahala Company, and issued $100,000 worth of bonds to generate the funds necessary to save the project and settle the debt.
In 1946, Mr. Albert S. Happoldt, manager of the Atlanta Athletic Club, took the reigns of Highlands Country Club and the Highlands Nantahala Company. Under the expert guidance of Mr. Happoldt the resort prospered as lots were sold around the golf course. Big changes were ahead! On April 1, 1980, an investor group, Highlands Golf, Ltd., headed by Mr. James D. Mackey bought Highlands Country Club, including undeveloped land that is now Upper and Lower Brushy Face, Moorewood Circle, Hill Road, Thistle Drive and Pipers Court. The Club became private and the sale of equity memberships with the newly developed property proved very successful. On January 1, 1985, Highlands Country Club was turned over to the members. Visit the Highlands Country Club ‘Caddie Shack’ for an entertaining look at golf in past times.